Types of Vacuum Cleaners – Choosing the Right Vacuum Type
If you want to keep your house all neat and clean, free of dust and debris, a good vacuum cleaner is going to be your best friend.
Now there are tons of different types of vacuums available on the market. Each type comes with its unique features and uses. Make sure that you are buying one that will meet your needs.
In this article, we are going to cover all types of vacuum cleaner. That’s right, each and every one of them. So if you are planning to buy a new vacuum cleaner, this article will guide you all the way through.
Types of Vacuum Cleaners
Before you head toward getting a new cleaning buddy, you need to know which type of vacuum cleaner is a good fit for your needs. The following section of our content is what designed to help you with that – guiding you get to know the right vacuum for your need.
1. Upright Vacuum Cleaners
An upright vacuum is a common type of vacuum cleaner that is taller rather than wider. This is the traditional vacuum model. The suction head and motor are placed in the same unit in an upright model.
These are the most common types of vacuum cleaners. You will find them in your regular hardware store.
Upright vacuum cleaners will offer you superior suction power. So better cleaning capacity. These vacuums are available both with and without bags. So you have options to choose from.
What they are Best for:
The upright vacuums can be used on all types of floors. However, they are more suitable for carpet cleaning. The machine can adjust to match with different carpet heights.
Considerations Before Buying an Upright Vacuum Cleaner:
- Whether the vacuum is the best fit for carpet cleaning.
- The weight of the machine – Most top quality uprights are much lighter.
- Types of attachments that are coming along. The uprights usually have fewer attachments than other types of vacuums.
- Most uprights are cheaper than other types of vacuums.
- The uprights come with rotating brushes which makes it easier to clean carpets.
- The cleaning path of the machine is wider.
- Maneuverability used to be a serious concern for the previous upright models. However, the newer versions have improved in that sector. Some of the models have used the “ball movement technology” which gives them additional maneuvering capacity.
Best Upright Vacuum Cleaners:
There are loads of upright vacuum models available in the market. But the following ones are considered to be the best:
- T-Series Rewind Bagless Vacuum, UH70120 (manufactured by Hoover)
- Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional
- T-Series Pet Rewind Vacuum (another Upright cleaner from Hoover)
- Wind Tunnel Air Bagless UH70400 (from Hoover)
- Bissell Clean View Vacuum 1330
If you want to have the ultimate experience with an upright vacuum, choose any of the above models. I am sure you will be overwhelmed by their performance.
2. Handheld Vacuum Cleaners
It is safe to say that handheld vacuum cleaners are the portable version of the traditional cleaning machines.
The handheld vacuum cleaners are quite small so can be picked up and carried quite easily. The handheld vacuum cleaners are mostly cordless so you can carry them anywhere you want.
Although these vacuums are much smaller than other models, they come with superior suction capacity. For more power, you can attach a cord to your machine.
What they are Best for:
The handhelds are the excellent choice for quick cleaning. You really don’t need to drag your bigger cleaner every time there is some smaller mess you need to deal with.
These handhelds are also great for cleaning the indoor of your automobile. As a matter of fact, you can even keep one at the back of your car for cleaning.
Considerations Before Buying a Handheld Vacuum:
- The handheld models are very light so easy to carry anywhere.
- These vacuums are available with or without cords. Attaching the cord usually gives more suction power.
- They are considerably cheaper than their larger counterparts.
- Most of the handheld models come without a bag. So you should buy the additional accessories to store and dispose of the trash.
- Even the best handhelds are quite affordable.
- They are the most energy efficient cleaning machines. So you won’t have to worry about a mammoth electricity bill.
Best Handheld Vacuum Cleaners:
There are different types of handheld vacuums available in the market. But not all of them are really capable of meeting your expectation.
So here I have listed down some of the best to make your life easier:
- Black & Decker CHV1410L Cordless Handheld Vacuum
- Dyson V6 Trigger Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
- Black & Decker Platinum BDH2000PL Handheld Pivot Vacuum
- Eureka EasyClean Corded Handheld Vacuum, 71B
- Bissell 33A1 Pet Hair Eraser Corded Handheld Vacuum
3. Canister Vacuum Cleaners
Canister vacuum cleaners are very effective cleaning machines that come with a stretched hose and a suction nozzle attached to it. They come in different size and shape.
What they are Best for:
The canister vacuum cleaners are excellent for versatile cleaning. They are the best choice for cleaning bare floors, upholstery, and drape.
You can also use them for cleaning under the furniture, the delicate corners that are difficult to reach. Canisters a good option for vacuuming stairs.
Considerations Before Buying a Canister Vacuum Cleaner:
- Canister vacuum cleaners are considerably more powerful than other types of cleaners.
- They are lighter so much easier to carry.
- The canister vacuums offer better maneuver so easier to clean tricky corners of the room.
- They produce significantly less sound than other vacuum cleaners.
- However, the canister vacuums are not good for quick cleaning. You will need to attach the basic accessories to the machine so it takes more time.
- Most canister vacuums come with retractable cords. Once you are done using the machine and loosen up the cord from the plug point. It will automatically retract back to the machine.
- Canister vacuums that come with the electric hose and electric attachments are more effective for cleaning since they offer superior suction power.
Best Canister Vacuum Cleaners:
Here goes the list of top five canister vacuum cleaners that are internationally recognized for their performance:
- Kenmore 81614 Bagged Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- Miele Complete C3 Marin Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- Ovente Bagless Canister Cyclonic Vacuum Cleaner
- Bissell Zing Canister Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
- Bissell Zing Bagged Canister Vacuum Cleaner
4. Stick Vacuum Cleaners
The stick vacuum cleaners are more like a lighter version of the conventional upright vacuum cleaners. The name itself is pretty much self-explanatory. They are shaped like sticks.
These vacuums do not offer excessive suction power like the uprights. They also don’t come up with so many attachments that you will find with other cleaning machines.
What they are Best for:
The stick vacuum cleaners are excellent for a quick clean. So if you are in a hurry and don’t really need a thorough cleaning, this is a machine you will want to heat up.
They are also an excellent choice if you are willing to use one that is very much user-friendly. Operating a stick is less complicated.
Considerations Before Buying a Stick Vacuums:
- If you are looking for a vacuum within a reasonable price range, a stick vacuum is going to save the day for you.
- Stick vacuums don’t occupy too much space. So if you have a smaller apartment or simply don’t want your cleaning machine to eat up too much of your storing space, go with the stick.
- These machines are very easy to operate so you don’t have to break a sweat.
- Some of the most powerful cordless cleaners are stick vacuums. So if you don’t like the power cord spreading all over the floor, you can try some of these machines.
- Some of the models combine accelerated power with the cyclone while you run the machine. This allows the centrifugation to keep the air and dust separated.
- Most of the cordless models support operation up to 30 minutes with battery. So you don’t have to worry about charging too often.
Best Stick Vacuum Cleaners:
Just like any other vacuum cleaner, the sticks are also available from a wide range of manufacturers. So of the top-rated stick vacuums include:
- Hoover Linx Cordless
- Dyson V8 Absolute Cord-Free Vacuum
- Shark Rocket DeluxePro Ultra-Light Upright
- Eufy HomeVac Duo
- VonHaus 2-in-1
5. Backpack Vacuum Cleaners
A backpack vacuum cleaner is a cleaning machine that allows you to wear the machine on your back just like a backpack. The machine itself is designed so that a grown-up user can carry it easily.
The backpacks make maneuvering much easier. So often they are chosen over the other types of cleaning machines. You no longer have to worry about getting entangled with the power cord.
What they are Best for:
The backpack vacuum cleaners are best for versatile cleaning. They are considered to be excellent cleaning machines for commercial cleaning.
However, if you want to use one for household cleaning, this can also fit in quite well. They particularly good for hallways and stairway cleaning.
Considerations Before Buying Backpack Vacuums:
- Backpack vacuums are excellent for quick cleaning. This is why they are widely used in commercial settings.
- They are quite energy efficient.
- Designed as a lightweight cleaning machine since the user has to carry it on his/her back.
- Multi-level filtration combined with HEPA technology leaves clean and fresh air after running the machine.
- Produces much less noise than other machines.
- Some models like Hoover C2401 comes with extra long 3-wore power cords so that you don’t have to switch outlet too frequently.
Best Backpack Vacuum Cleaners:
So let me list down some of the top backpack vacuums that you can keep in your wish-list.
- Hoover Commercial Backpack Vacuum, C2401
- ProTeam Backpack Vacuum
- Sanitaire EURSC412B Quiet Clean Backpack Lightweight Vacuum
- Hoover C2401-010 Shoulder Vac Pro Commercial Back Pack Vacuum
- Koblenz BP-1400 Commercial Grade Backpack Vacuum Cleaner
Though some of them are described as backpack cleaners for commercial purpose, you can use them for house cleaning as well.
6. Central Vacuum Cleaning Units
A central vacuum cleaning unit is a special type of cleaning device that comes with a semi-permanent machine. These types of vacuums are used in both domestic and commercial setups.
The machine collects the dust and debris from the premises and releases them to a distant storage facility. The storage system and the machine are usually connected through tubes.
What they are Best for:
The central vacuums are best for cleaning the garage, basement or storage facilities. However, lots of modern homes also come with inlet valves on every floor that can be connected to the machine.
So you can also use a central cleaning system inside your house.
Considerations Before Buying a Central Vacuum Cleaner:
- The central system gives superior suction power so better cleaning.
- The machine is installed in a distant location so noise is not going to be a serious issue while using this device.
- The top models include HEPA filtration so that you can enjoy fresh air after running the device for house cleaning.
- Some of the models (for instance, the Beam Central Vacuum Power Unit 650TBN) include exhaust muffler to give your superior cleaning experience.
- Different models are designed to cover different floor capacity. So check how many square feet a particular model is meant to cover before making the final purchase.
Best Central Vacuum Cleaners:
The following models are some of the best options if you want to go for a central cleaning system:
- Prolux CV12000 Central Vacuum Unit System with Electric Hose Power Nozzle Kit
- Valet Used ATQ-180 Central Vacuum Power Unit
- Beam Classic III 189 Power Unit Central Vacuum Built In-Home System Replacement
- Canavac 211X Central Vacuum unit
- Honeywell 4B-H403B Central Vacuum Power Unit
7. Robotic Vacuums
The robotic vacuums are automated cleaning devices that are designed to clean a room with limited human involvement.
The machine at first will map out the premises that it is supposed to clean. Then will clean the place as per programming.
What they are Best for:
The robot vacuum cleaners are best for people who have an extremely busy schedule for household cleaning activities. You just program your robotic cleaner and it will do the rest while you are gone to work.
Considerations Before Buying a Robotic Vacuum:
- Most of the top-notch robotic cleaners use lithium-ion batteries. These are the best options if you are concerned about battery life.
- The latest robotic cleaners include wifi connectivity so that you can program and coordinate by using your smartphone.
- HEPA filtration is also available with the robotic vacuums. So you don’t have to worry about the tiny particles that often get released by the machines after cleaning.
- Though they are usually a bit expensive, there are some reliable models available within an affordable price range.
- The high-end models come with multiple cleaning options. So you can adjust as per your needs.
- Most of the models offer auto recharge option. Once you get your robotic cleaner attached to the re-charging dock, next time it will automatically come to the spot when it will need to recharge.
Best Robotic Vacuum Cleaners:
These are some of the internationally renowned robotic vacuum cleaners that you should keep in your shopping list:
- iRobot Roomba 960
- Samsung Powerbot R7070
- Dyson 360 Eye
- Eufy RoboVac 11
- Ecovacs Deebot N79S
8. Wet Dry Vacuum Cleaners
The wet/dry vacuum cleaners are specialized cleaning machines that are designed to clear a large volume of wet spills and dry debris.
These cleaners are considerably larger in size because of their better capacity.
What they are Best for:
The wet/dry vacuum cleaners are excellent for both commercial and household use because of their superior suction power.
They are great for cleaning larger floor spaces like basements and hallways. At the same time, commercial open spaces can also be cleaned for all kinds of liquid and dry debris.
They are also excellent for drying cleaned carpets or hardwood floor.
Considerations Before Buying a Wet Dry Vacuum:
- They are more suitable for commercial cleaning because of their higher capacity.
- The wet/dry cleaners come with considerably more suction power than other types of vacuums.
- Excellent for cleaning liquid which is not a common feature for other types of vacuums.
- However, the filtering system is not as good as the ones we see in the upright machines. So getting rid of the allergens and smaller particles can be difficult.
- Some of the renowned wet/dry vacuums use self-seal tab locks. This helps to empty the trash bag more effectively. Leaving nothing behind.
Best Wet Dry Vacuum Cleaners:
- Draper 06489 Wet and Dry Vacuum Cleaner
- Vax 6131T 3-in-1 Multivax
- Milwaukee 18V Cordless Wet/Dry Vacuum, Model# 0880-20
- Craftsman XSP 12 Gallon 5.5 Peak HP Vacuum Wet Dry Vac Shop
- Charles Wet & Dry Commercial Vacuum Cleaner
9. Carpet Sweepers
Carpet sweepers are not exactly vacuum cleaners. They are mechanical devices that are used for cleaning carpets. However, considering their role in cleaning operations, I kept them in the list of different types of vacuum cleaners.
What they are Best for:
Carpet sweepers are obviously made for cleaning carpets. That’s what they do best. They are usually preferred for commercial cleaning. However, you can also use them in your household.
If you appreciate a quieter cleaning operation, carpet sweepers should be at the top of your list. They make minimal noise yet will leave your carpet neat and clean.
Considerations Before Buying a Carpet Sweeper:
- They are mostly cordless. So you don’t have to worry about getting entangled with the power cord while using the machine.
- Carpet sweepers are very much lightweight so easy to move from one place to another.
- Most of the top brand sweepers have very effective rotor brush that can collect all kinds of particles from your carpet including crumbs, pet hair, and dust.
- Some of the carpet sweepers (for instance, the one from Fuller) also offer multiple floor cleaning option. So besides carpets, you can also clean tiles and hardwood floors with them.
- Some of the models also have folding handles making it easier to reach tricky corners and under the furniture.
Best Carpet Sweeper Vacuums:
Though conventional vacuum cleaners are gradually taking over the market, there are several manufacturers who are offering some top quality carpet sweeping machines.
Here goes a list of some of the finest models:
- Fuller Brush Workhorse Commercial Carpet Sweeper
- Bissell Commercial BG9100NM Rechargeable Cordless Sweeper
- Shark Ultra-Light Cordless 13-Inch Rechargeable Floor & Carpet Sweeper
- Fuller Brush Electrostatic Carpet & Floor Sweeper
- Bissell 28806 Perfect Sweep Turbo
Types of Vacuums for Surface Cleaning
There are different types of surfaces you will need to clean with your vacuum cleaner. Based on that, you can choose the right vacuum cleaner for you.
1. Upholstery Cleaning
If you have pet(s) in your house and you have the allergy, cleaning the upholstery regularly is a must. You will find multipurpose vacuum cleaners that offer superior upholstery cleaning.
Just go through the product features of each model and choose the one that comes with the capacity of cleaning upholstery.
2. Carpet Cleaning
Carpet cleaning is one of the most common cleaning tasks for which you will be using a vacuum cleaner. There are machined available that are designed specifically for cleaning carpets.
However, most of the top manufacturers these days are building multipurpose vacuum cleaners that come with the capacity for cleaning different types of floors including carpets and bare floors.
The cleaners with superior suction power are excellent for thorough carpet cleaning. They can easily collect all the tiny debris, pet hairs and other particles that will leave you with a clean carpet.
3. Hard Floor Cleaning
If you are planning to use a vacuum cleaner to clean your bare floor then you need to make sure that it comes with the right features to do so.
Often the conventional vacuum cleaners leave scratch marks on the bare floor and may not be able to clean properly. This happens more often with the machines that are designed for carpet cleaning.
For hard floor cleaning, you need to choose a vacuum cleaner that comes with a bare-floor brush. They are excellent for bare floor and wooden floor cleaning.
Types of Vacuums Based on Features
Different types of vacuum cleaners come with a wide range of features aimed to make your cleaning experience smoother. While buying a cleaning machine check with these features very carefully.
1. Bagged Vacuum Cleaners
The bagged vacuum cleaners are the ones that come with a bag attached to them (and thus named like this). The bagged cleaners are considered to be the most hygienic ones.
You can store a large quantity of debris in the bag and can dispose of it safely without releasing any pollutants into the air. The filtration system is excellent for catching all the allergens.
Usually, the bagged vacuums do not need excessive maintaining like the bagless ones. The biggest limitation of these cleaners is the cost of buying new bags.
At the same time, once the debris begins to fill the bag, its efficiency starts to go down. And you will not be able to understand when the cleaner is all full.
2. Bagless Vacuum Cleaners
The bagless vacuum cleaners are now widely being used in households. One of the main advantages of this kind of vacuum cleaners is that it is much easier to clean them.
You don’t have to buy bags over and over since the canister that comes with a bagless cleaner is transparent. So you can easily understand when it is full and can empty the container.
However, the filtering system of a bagless vacuum cleaner is not that efficient when it comes to taking care of the allergens. At the same time, there is a risk of pollutants and tiny debris being released back to air when you are trying to empty the canister.
You will also need to clear the filter on a regular basis to make the vacuum work properly.
3. Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
The cordless vacuum cleaners are a great choice if you are planning to run a quick cleaning. You don’t have to worry about getting entangled with the power cord.
However, the battery may run out within less than an hour after running the machine. So you do have to charge for next cleaning session once you are done.
There are different cordless models available in the market. The best ones offer more battery life and superior suction power.
4. Vacuums with Car Adapter
Often we may need to vacuum the car seats and mats for getting rid of the dust, food left over and so on. In that case, you will need a handheld vacuum with a car adapter.
Whenever you are on the road, you can keep charging the vacuum. This way, you can use it any time you want. An excellent feature you should look for in handheld vacuum cleaners.
5. Vacuum Cleaner with a Swivel Neck
A vacuum cleaner with a swivel neck will allow you to collect all the tiny particles lying on the floor and under the furniture. So no dustier sticky corners even after cleaning.
You can buy swivel necks online that can fit on any vacuum cleaner. Some models also offer these as attachments.
6. Vacuums with Adjustable Height
Most of the modern vacuum cleaners will offer this feature. You can adjust the height as you go on with your house cleaning.
This is quite useful for cleaning upholstery and under the furniture. So no matter which model you are going after, you should always look out for this feature in that.
7. Vacuums with HEPA Filter
HEPA filters are now considered to be a standard feature for any good vacuum cleaner. HEPA technology makes sure that your cleaner is getting rid of all the smaller particles and pollutants.
If you have allergy problems, you must look for a vacuum with HEPA filtration.
8. Vacuums with WiFi
Usually, the robotic vacuum cleaners come with WiFi connectivity so that you can program and operate the machine remotely with your smartphone.
If you are too busy to run cleaning by yourself, you can input all the instructions to your robot vacuum and it will take care of the dirt all by itself.
So here you go, choose the best vacuum cleaner for your household or workplace. Make sure to check all the best options within your budget and the features each of them offers.
Consider your floor type (carpeting or bare floor), pets and floor size. Also, do keep an eye on your personal well being. If you are not used to with carrying too much weight, the backpack vacuums or any other heavier machine should not be in your shopping list.
If you have a very tight work schedule, you can try the robotic cleaners that will do all the cleaning automatically once the program is set. There are all kinds of features available with the modern vacuum cleaners.
Check some product reviews and specs and then take your decision.